Every mental disorder has a story that defines its cause, as a therapist most times I like to follow the unconscious part which is the unknown story behind the disorder. In this excerpt, I choose to focus on the bio-psychosocial model. The model in simplistic terms combines the biological, social, psychological, and spiritual factors as causes of extreme dysfunctions in an individual. Therefore, do not look far when dealing with any mental health issue, the story will lie somewhere in the bio-psychosocial model. For some people, this story is vividly known, while for others help is needed to point it out. Thus, mental disorders would never exist in a vacuum, the causal factors challenge a person’s ability to overcome on their own.
Types of biological abnormalities include:
1. Defective genes: Each chromosome contains thousands of genes (carriers of DNA) that influence psychological and physical development. Defective genes may adversely affect development (e.g., trisomy causes Down syndrome). Behavior genetics: the study of individual differences in behavior that are caused by differences in genotype (a person’s genetic makeup). Typically, it may take a combination of several altered genes to cause a disorder.
2. Structural brain abnormalities: occur when areas of the brain have not developed optimally or have undergone pathological changes (e.g., the ventricles, which are the fluid-filled portions of the cortex, often are larger in schizophrenics).
3. Neurotransmitter imbalances: The 100 billion neurons in the central nervous system (CNS) communicate by chemical messengers called neurotransmitters, which can become imbalanced. Biological approaches to treatment focus mainly on medications that address neurotransmitter imbalances.
Evolved from Freudian psychoanalytic theory, and contends that psychological disorders are the consequence of anxiety produced by unresolved, unconscious conflicts such as abuse in childhood, poor parenting, unpleasant experiences, etc…Treatment focuses on the identification and resolution of conflicts.
Supernatural theory– abnormal behavior is thought to be caused by evil spirits Luke8:26-38 Treatment was by prayers, exorcism.
How do we handle the story behind the mental disorder
- Seek counseling and psychiatric treatment or assessment this way will allow you to understand the mental disorder more and begin your healing journey.
- Choose to move on with the present by focusing on your strengths and new achievements.
- Pray for a new beginning if you are a Christian. If you are not God gives a new story through his son Jesus Christ and a way for the past to pass away. 2 Corinthians 5:17 therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
- Share this story to trusted people for purposes of finding healing and support
- You can also journal your feelings and emotions about the story until you find healing.